Thursday, October 14, 2010

Driving Miss Daisy’s Canine Car Reviews: 2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition

2010 F-150 Ford Harley Davidson Edition as Pawed by Daisy Mae (with a little help from Jim Hamel) Who is Daisy Mae, she is the new PAW investigative automotive writer for Bark Buckle UP. She is an 8 year old Boxer who, until recently, called Boxer Rescue Los Angeles her only home. As a senior citizen among many adorable Boxer pups, her chances of being adopted seemed pretty dim. But ">James Hamel, a freelance auto journalist who works from home, adopted little Miss Daisy Mae and has put her to work helping him write reviews. She now travels with him in every vehicle that he tests and offers up her unique take on what makes a vehicle or product truly “Pet Safe.”

When my daddy first opened the back door of the 2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition I tested last week, I quite literally thought it was a monster that was trying to eat me. And no, it wasn’t because the “Lava” exterior color looked vaguely like purple in direct sunlight.

No, I started calling this 2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition the “Purple Puppy Eater” because I was terrified of the automatic power running boards that descended from the body of the truck every time the doors were opened. Thankfully my daddy figured out a way to turn them off! B

These automatic running boards are a standard feature when you get the special Harley Davidson Edition of the admittedly pet safe and dog friendly Ford F-150. I may have disliked them intensely but there might be other dogs out there who might find the step useful. I, however, am a bit of a diva.

The first time I saw the power running boards I cowered behind my daddy’s legs and eventually he had to hoist me against my will into the admittedly very spacious back seat. Of course my daddy never has me ride in the front seat of any vehicle. That is because even if your dog is wearing a safety harness in the front seat, he or she can be easily killed by an airbag in the event of a collision.

And why would any dog want to ride in the front seat of the F-150 anyway when the rear seats are so comfortable and roomy? There is a ton of human legroom in the back and that makes for a very wide space that I liked to use to jump into the back.

I am older so I can’t jump as high as a puppy so I would usually jump onto the floor of the truck cabin where humans put their feet and then I would hop up onto the seat. That’s when my daddy would put on my safety harness and attach it to one of the very wide and easy to access car seat buckles.

I don’t like to stick my head out the window because I think that’s dangerous but I do love that wind in the fur feeling. And I got plenty of it thanks to rear windows that roll all the way down. The leather seats in the Harley Davidson Edition of the F-150 were two-tone (black and dark cherry) and felt very durable.

The plastics were also impressively scratchproof unlike the kind you find in the Toyota Tundra. I tested one of those earlier this year and was not impressed with the plastics. The F-150 kind of feels like a luxury car inside and is quite stylish when compared to the more utilitarian interiors of the aforementioned Tundra and the 2010 Dodge Ram.

I also tested a Dodge Ram earlier this year and found that it was easier to get into and out of than either the F-150 or Tundra. I think that my daddy loved the 2010 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Edition most because he loves gadgets. It came with the cool Sync system, Bluetooth, a Sony audio system (so he could listen to something called “Lady Gaga” really loud), navigation, a back-up camera (which was not available with the Ram we tested) and even the $350 “Man Step.”

What is a “Man Step?” Well, I can tell you one thing. It is not a “Dog Step” because I had no interest in using it. If you want to read more about my daddy’s experience with the “Man Step” click HERE. Otherwise, I give the 2010 Ford F-150 two paws up as long as those automatic running boards are turned off.

Daisy’s Likes
It looks classy and expensive
Lots of cool electronic features
Easy to find car seat attachment points for her safety harness
Wide and comfortable rear seat
Well built, stylish and sturdy interior

Daisy’s Dislikes
Automatic running boards scared me
Not sure about the color scheme
2010 Dodge Ram back seat is easier to access
Pricey at $45,995

Read more from Jim, Daisy's Dad on Examiner

About: Bark Buckle UP® founder Christina Selter “Pet Safety Lady” works with first responders nationwide teaching pet safety and has buckled UP more then 10,000 pets. Education is the first step to show that pet safety is connected to human safety, which helps to save lives. Christina has been featured in more then 1200 TV, radio, segments including print and online takes it over tens of thousands, Bark Buckle UP received more then 100 MILLION in circulations/impressions in 2008 and she has directed, produced several pet safety PSA’s and created Be Smart Ride Safe-take the pledge Buckle Up the whole family.